Tuesday, July 26, 2011

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

State of Wonder

It says a lot that I finished this book last week and have already put it out of my mind.  This book was one where the reviews were fabulous, and the book did not thrill me.  This seems to happen a lot - I must have very different tastes than the critics or else they are all on the same wavelength, and I am not.  In any case, for this book, I was not the only one.  I have a friend who posted her great hatred of this book to Facebook, and while I did not hate it, I did not much enjoy it either.  And it never beckoned to me to keep reading.

This is the story of a woman around 40 who gets sent to the jungle to investigate what happened to her colleague and must therefore address unspoken issues in her past.  But much of the story is implausible at best and preposterous at worst.  Decisions and behaviors make no sense for the characters, especially towards the end.  Motivations are entirely unclear or unbelievable.  And overall, unmemorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment