Monday, June 6, 2011

Doc: A Novel. Mary Doria Russell

Doc: A Novel

This is the second book I am recommending this year.  I have to admit I maybe a bit biased about this one.  Mary Russell is someone I heard about throughout my graduate school days, and eventually met, a few years after she wrote her first novel, The Sparrow.  Since I (kindof) know her, I have sought out her books as they come out.  On the other hand, they are really delightful books.  She won the Arthur C Clark award for The Sparrow and was nominated for a Pulitzer for A Thread of Grace.   But this one may be my favorite since her first.  Doc is about Doc Holliday, famous of the shootout at the OK Corral.  But it is about how John Holliday became "Doc."  It is about him coming to terms with the hand life has dealt him and trying to deal with his life limited by illness and circumstance.  She describes it as the story of the one season of happiness in his life.   I, like Russell, fell a little bit in love with Doc over the course of this novel.    I wanted more.

No comments:

Post a Comment